Friday, February 21, 2020

Commonplace Book of Francis Dane: 52 Ancestors Prompt "Favorite Discovery"


Francis Dane: 1615-1697

Learning About My 8th Great Grandfather Through His Own Words and In His Own Hand 


            I knew exactly what I wanted to write about when I saw this week’s 52 Ancestors theme. I made the most incredible discovery while researching my eighth-great-grandfather, Reverend Francis Dane. I had already learned amazing things about Reverend Dane and his life in Andover, Massachusetts. Due to his vocal objections to the witch trials in the neighboring village of Salem, he is in the history books and even has his own Wikipedia page. His family members were targeted by the Salem investigators in retaliation for his outspokenness. Several of his daughters, daughters-in-law and granddaughters were accused, put on trial, and some were even convicted of witchcraft.

Reverend Francis Dane

           
My discovery last year had nothing to do with that horrible period of his life. I happened upon a reference to the restoration of a commonplace book written by him. The volume was available to the public as part of the Digital Collection of the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS), so I immediately looked at it.

            I already knew what a commonplace book was, and I’d actually begun my own version of one a few years earlier. A commonplace book is, according to one dictionary, “a book in which quotes, extracts, poems, aphorisms, etc. are copied down for future reference, often together with one’s ideas and reflections.” My own commonplace book is a collection of quotations that strike my fancy.

NEHGS website description of the Dane Commonplace Book

           
The NEHGS has collected some early American commonplace books for preservation, and one of the earliest is Francis Dane’s. They believe he used the book for nearly 40 years, from 1648 to shortly before his death in 1697. It contains extracts from his clerical reading, drafts of sermons, recipes for medications and dye colors, and was also used for penmanship practice by young family members.

            The NEHGS has digitized the entire 200 page volume. It was in a severely damaged condition; many pages have been torn out entirely or partially. However, the pages that remain have been scanned in a high resolution format, so the images are rich and sharp. The pages are packed with handwriting; Reverend Dane would even turn the book to the side to make use of the margins, so many pages have entries on a variety of topics written in various directions on the page. Paper was difficult and expensive to acquire in that era, so Reverend Dane was careful to utilize every inch of his book. His students’ penmanship lessons are often scrawled atop his own entries.


            I was amazed at the clarity of his penmanship. I can read most of the text, only stumbling on archaic 17th century language and usage, as well as the era’s tendency to write certain letters like the small “s” and “f” nearly identically.



            I have been eagerly downloading the images into a Dropbox file, and now I am starting to upload the images to Shutterfly so I can make a print copy of some or perhaps all of the pages. It’s an odd feeling to look at my eighth great grandfather’s actual handwriting—to see the inkblots and the careful cross-outs as he edited his material, to read his thoughts and see what excerpts from the Bible and other books he copied. It makes him so real—a man who was far more than a rural minister preaching to a tiny community on the edges of a new world. He was a man who helped out with household chores like dying fabric and with tending to the sick. He was a man who was sharing his education and knowledge with the next generations. He was a man who wrote poetry and hymns, and pondered the arguments and ideas of England’s theologians.

            I can’t wait to see what new discoveries I make as I begin to transcribe his book. This is a discovery that will bring me delight and wonder for years to come.

Sources: 

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/ma-francisdane/

No comments:

Post a Comment