Sunday, August 16, 2026

Multiple Susannahs, Multiple Mistakes: 52 Ancestors 2026 Prompt “Multiples”

 

Two Susannah Chesleys Married Two John Smiths in Two Different Colonies, Causing Two Times the Confusion

Susannah Chesley: 1677-1746 (Maternal 7th Great-Grandaunt)
Captain John Smith: 1669-1744 (Husband of Maternal 7th Great-Grandaunt)

 

I have been using Ancestry’s Tree Checker tool to identify and correct errors in my tree. The program recently suggested that Sarah Chesley, a 7th great-grandaunt, was a possible duplicate. The program suggested Sarah was the same person as her sister Susannah. While I rejected that possibility, as I glanced at Susannah’s Fact page in my tree, I noticed some peculiarities. It turns out that I did have duplicates in my tree, but it wasn’t Sarah being the same as Susannah—it appeared I had combined two different Susannah Chesleys. They were both born in the 1670s and both married men named John Smith. But they were born in different colonial towns to different parents. I had made a rookie mistake: accepting Ancestry hints without verifying them, blindly following other people who had combined the two women.

My Susannah Chesley was born in 1677 in Durham, New Hampshire, to parents Thomas Chesley and Elizabeth Thomas Chesley. Susannah married John Smith on June 17, 1694. He was born January 9, 1669 to parents Joseph Smith and Elizabeth Bickford Smith of Oyster River.

Map of Oyster River area in late 1600s.

The other Susannah Chesley was born in 1668 in Stonington, Connecticut. Her parentage is unclear. She married John Smith in 1691. That John Smith was born July 13, 1672 in Watertown, Massachusetts, also supposedly to a Joseph Smith and Elizabeth Bickford. Obviously that was incorrect, as Joseph Smith and Elizabeth Bickford lived in New Hampshire. I found another researcher,  Brad Stauf, who had compiled information on the Connecticut family and listed John Smith’s parents as Daniel Smith and Mary Grant of Massachusetts. I find his evidence, posted on Findagrave, persuasive.

So I had determined that the two John and Susannah Smiths lived in two different colonies. Each couple had given birth to multiple children, and I had erroneously added both sets of children to my tree. To my horror, I realized I had poor Susannah giving birth to fifteen children over the space of twenty years. It was a hideous mess. My tree even had three children—Jerusha, John and Joshua-- born in the same year in different states, and had several similar sounding children’s names (John Joseph, Josiah. Joshua)—how was I going to untangle this? How had I failed to notice that some children were born in Stonington, Connecticut and others in Oyster River, New Hampshire, 170 miles away? People simply didn’t travel back and forth over such distances in the 17th century.

Map of New Hampshire, 1700s

I found one source, an old family genealogy book titled “The Smiths of Oyster River” which had a list of children the editors attributed to the Oyster River Smith family. This was a wonderful starting point, and it was reinforced by another book entitled Colonial Families of the United States of America, which listed the same eight children.

I began clearing up my mistakes by removing any of Susannah’s children that were born in Stonington. The names piled up: Hannah, Jerusha, Joshua, Margaret, Daniel, Esther, Ephraim, Josiah, Silas, and Lucy. I removed ten children that were from the Connecticut family.

That left me with only five children that had likely been born in Oyster Rive to the correct Susannah Chesley and John Smith. All five—John, Elizabeth, Joseph, Samuel and Benjamin—were on the lists of children from the two genealogy books. But the books listed an additional three children who needed to be added to the tree: Hannah, Ebenezer and Winthrop.

I then set out to find primary sources for the eight Oyster River Smith children. I was able to find birth records for all eight children. Additional records, including their deaths, marriages and children, were more spotty. But at least I was able to verify that John and Susannah Chesley Smith gave birth to those eight children in the Durham/Oyster River area of New Hampshire.

I also found some interesting information about John Smith in a genealogy book by Ballard Smith, Jr. (see citation below) that gives a small glimpse into the Smith family’s lives.

Ballard Smith wrote: “It was [John Smith] who ‘defended so successfully’ the garrison at the mouth of Oyster River, then commanded by his father, the attack upon it being made when he was but just finishing his honeymoon, his marriage to Susanna Chesley having been consummated but a few weeks before. It is to be presumed, however, that there was neither much opportunity nor leisure for overmuch sentiment in those days, with the new and untrodden lands to be brought into the service of civilization and the constant incursions of hostile savages to be prepared for at all seasons, and to be resisted vigorously when made.”

What a way for poor Susannah to start her married life—under attack by native tribes. I hope that there was a bit more “sentiment” involved despite the danger. At least they and the house survived the attack. The garrison stood until the late 1880s.

Painting of the Smith Garrison House, Unknown artist, 1890s

Ballard Smith noted that John Smith was “unusually active and industrious” and that despite “the small patrimony that his father left him, he had amassed a very considerable fortune” over his lifetime. He wrote:

“Capt. John commenced his business life as a land surveyor, in which connection his name is frequently met with in the town records, and, with the farm at Lubberland as the homestead, gradually added to his property, until he became one of the largest real estate owners and wealthiest men in his section. He owned almost the entire shore of Great Bay from Lamprey River to Crommet's Creek, nearly four miles in extent…”

Illustration of early 1700s surveying equipment similar to what John Smith used

In addition to real estate, John Smith operated two profitable sawmills along the Lamprey River. He also served as Selectman of the town of Dover repeatedly during the period between 1711 and 1727. Ballard Smith also approvingly noted his ancestor’s generosity, writing:

“He seems to have kept "open house" at the garrison, and tradition glows with its accounts of the liberality and hospitality displayed by the father and sons at the old homestead. They seem to have made an excellent use of their large wealth.”

Crommet's Creek, New Hampshire. Land possibly owned by John Smith

John Smith died May 14, 1744. Susannah Chesley Smith died two years later on March 24, 1746. He was 75 years old and she was 69 years old. I have found no record to indicate where they were buried, which is not surprising as there were few formal cemeteries at that time.

I am so glad that Ancestry’s Tree Checker sent me on this journey. Not only did I correct multiple errors in my tree, but I also found interesting information about a colonial family and life in 17th century New Hampshire.

Sources:

Colonial Families of the United States of America, 1607-1775. Mackenzie, George Norbury, and Nelson Osgood Rhoades, editors. Volume III. “John Smith”. Page 516. 1912. Reprinted, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1966, 1995. Ancestry.com.

Findagrave notes by Brad Stauf on Connecticut and New Hampshire John Smiths. https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/46986934/person/322298746932/media/8e62f29e-d62c-45e7-bafa-3f916b8cfde0?galleryindex=1&sort=-created

A genealogical record of the Smiths of Oyster River from the first settler in 1630 to 1874: with some account of the immediate ancestors of Hon. Valentine Smith and his descendants / Ballard Smith, Jr.. Durham, NH : Courier-Journal Print, 1874. Ancestry.com.

Painting of Smith Garrison House, Unknown Artist. Circa 1890.

The Practical Surveyor or the Art of Land Measuring Made Easy. Wyld, Samuel. London. J. Hooke and J. Sisson. 1725. Illustration.

Map of Oyster River, 1600s. https://www.durhamnh.gov/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment