Thursday, August 4, 2022

Doctor Helps Boxing Champ: 52 Ancestors 2022 Prompt “Help”

The Boxer and the Doctor: Fun Discovery

Dr. Albert H. Macbeth: 1862-1947

 

FamilySearch sent me a note today about a new record relating to one of my ancestors, so I logged in. As I skimmed my home page, I paused to examine some new photos of various ancestors that fellow researchers had posted. To my surprise, two were newspaper clippings about my maternal great-granduncle, Dr. A. H. Macbeth--clippings that I had never seen before.

The clippings included a photo of Dr. Macbeth with a middle-weight boxing champion by the name of Charles “Kid” McCoy. According to the accompanying article, Kid McCoy was visiting Dr. Macbeth’s hometown of Fort Wayne, Indiana and had looked up Dr. Macbeth, as they had become acquainted back in New York in 1898.


The article stated:

“Two old friends whom McCoy looked up on his arrival in Fort Wayne were George Biemer, who promoted a fight for McCoy…back in 1898 and Dr. A. H. Macbeth, who was medical attendant at the Rider Hotel in Syracuse, N. Y., in the same year, when McCoy was training there for his fight with Gus Ruhlin. When Dr. MacBeth and the old champion met here the doctor was wearing a pearl stickpin which McCoy had presented to him in appreciation for his services before the Ruhlin fight.”


I knew Albert Macbeth had received his medical training in New York, but I had not realized that he had practiced medicine there before moving to Fort Wayne. And I certainly had no idea that he had served as the medical attendant for a Syracuse hotel!

Kid McCoy

I had to look up the McCoy/Ruhlin fight. It was a twenty-round slugfest! Despite being outweighed by 30 pounds or so (McCoy was a middle-weight while Ruhlin, known as the Akron Giant, was a heavyweight), McCoy prevailed at last.


I’m curious about what sort of services Dr. Macbeth provided that made such a strong impression on Kid McCoy—so strong that he wanted to see Macbeth again twenty-five years later! Dr. Macbeth must have proved to be an exceptionally helpful doctor to have warranted both a pearl stickpin and a visit! Helping a famous sports figure apparently had its perks! Thank you to Julie Nissen for posting this find!

 

Sources:

FamilySearch.org.  https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/memories/MZL2-BPT

Los Angeles Herald, 21 May 1898. McCoy Mounts Upward. https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1898/03/10/102087136.html


No comments:

Post a Comment