Thursday, January 13, 2022

First School: 52 Ancestors 2022 Prompt “Foundations”

Hanska Schools: Foundation of My Education


I belong to a Facebook group called “At Home in Hanska.”  Hanska is my hometown, and the Facebook page is a place for people connected to the community to post historic photos of their ancestors and of buildings around the area. I was so excited when someone posted some photos of the old Hanska High School. My first school experience was at the Hanska school. I see education as the foundation of my life, and that school laid the first stones of that foundation.

I am going to post a photo that was shared on the website, along with one I took about 15 years ago, and some vintage photos from Hanska High yearbooks from 1954 and 1956 I found on Ancestry. 

Campus from the air in 1956

Campus with Elementary wing partly visible through trees--circa 2006?

I attended kindergarten through sixth grade in Hanska. Most of my time was spent in the school’s elementary wing, which had been built more recently than the original high school building. However, I went to gym class and music class in the high school building, so I have fond memories of the place.


School photos from 1954 Yearbook

I appreciate all the teachers who patiently taught us and guided us: Mrs. Anderson in kindergarten; Mrs. Stadig in first grade; Mrs. Froland in second grade; Miss Eide in third grade; Mrs. Brudelie in fourth; Mr. Hammero in fifth; and Mrs. Yarger in sixth grade. I was a shy, quiet little thing, but all of those teachers made an effort to draw me out and help me to excel.

Old Hanska High School, now boarded up and standing empty....


No comments:

Post a Comment